Teeth cleaning, also known as dental prophylaxis or scaling and polishing, is a dental treatment that involves removing plaque and tartar from the teeth to prevent gum disease and tooth decay. The treatment is typically performed by a dental hygienist or dentist using specialized tools to scrape away the buildup of plaque and tartar that accumulates on the teeth over time. The process usually begins with a physical examination of the mouth to assess the overall health of the teeth and gums. Once the examination is complete, the hygienist or dentist will use a scaler or ultrasonic instrument to remove the plaque and tartar from the teeth. They will then polish the teeth using a polishing tool and gritty toothpaste to remove any remaining stains and smooth the tooth surfaces.
Teeth Cleaning Treatment
What is Teeth Cleaning
Teeth cleaning treatment is an important part of maintaining good oral hygiene and preventing dental problems. It can also help to keep your teeth looking bright and healthy. The procedure is usually painless, but you may experience some sensitivity or discomfort during and after the treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about the procedure, you should discuss them with your dentist or hygienist.
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
The teeth cleaning procedure is an important part of maintaining good oral health. It typically involves the following steps:
- Examination: The dental professional will examine your teeth and gums to look for signs of gum disease, cavities, or other dental issues. X-rays may also be taken to assess the condition of your teeth and the underlying bone structure.
- Scaling: The hygienist will use a special tool called a scaler to remove plaque and tartar from the teeth and along the gum line. This process can be uncomfortable if there is a significant buildup of tartar.
- Polishing: Once the teeth are scaled, the hygienist will polish the teeth using a special paste and a high-speed brush. This helps to remove any remaining surface stains and gives the teeth a smooth surface.
- Flossing: The hygienist will floss between the teeth to remove any remaining debris and to check for areas of the gums that may bleed or be tender.
- Fluoride Treatment: A fluoride treatment may be applied to the teeth to help strengthen the enamel and protect against cavities.
- Oral hygiene instruction: The dental professional may provide you with advice on how to improve your oral hygiene, such as proper brushing and flossing techniques, and may also recommend dental products that can help maintain your oral health.
Our Best Services
Book An Appointment
Book a visit to Apex Dental & Implant Centre, simply fill out the form below and we will contact you back regarding the intervention you require.